The IDF has just announced the results of its investigation of the events that took place when Israeli commandos boarded the Mavi Marmara on May 31. Note that this is the internal military investigation — there will still be a formal Israeli inquiry, the Turkel Commission, which will include foreign observers.
Maj. Gen (res.) Giora Eiland’s briefing included the following (paraphrased by a member of the IDF Spokesperson staff who was present):
There were at least 4 incidents where Mavi Marmara passengers shot at IDF soldiers. There is good reason to believe that the first incident of live fire shooting on the ship was by passengers of the Mavi Marmara.
A senior IDF official said that the first incident of live fire occurred when the second commando who landed on the deck was shot with a gun that had been taken either from him or the previous soldier. Another soldier was shot in the knee by a weapon which was not IDF issue. Shell casings from non-IDF weapons were also found on the deck.
He also said that three soldiers, all injured, were taken hostage and taken to a lower deck. Two of them managed to escape, jumping into the sea where they were picked up. The third was very seriously injured, and he was rescued by other soldiers.
According to the official, all the soldiers who fired their weapons did so because they were in life-threatening situations.
I don’t expect to hear this on NPR or read it in an AP report in my local newspaper.